Podi / Gun Powder
Podi which originated from the southern states of India is a coarse ground spice mixture that is best paired with Idlis and/or Dosas. This mixture can be made in lots of amazing variations.
This recipe was shared by my dear friend Jayshree who was born & brought up in Coimbatore. She introduced podi to my girls and now it’s a staple in our house. It’s a very healthy and nutritious spice mix that can take the flavour of a plain Dosa or Idli to the next level.
The process to make podi is simple, easy and quick.
Happy Cooking and Stay Safe!
- 1 cup Chana dal (Split Chickpea)
- 1 cup Urad dal (Husked Black Gram)
- 1 Tbsp Til (Sesame Seeds)
- 2-4 Red Dry chillies (Less/more to suit your taste)
- 3/4 cup Almonds
- 3/4 cup Peanuts
- 1 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
- Salt to taste
- Separately dry roast all the ingredients mentioned above except hing and salt .
- Grind all the dry roasted ingredients together in a jar along with hing and salt to make a coarse powder.
- Podi is best paired with Gingelly Oil.
- Store the podi in an airtight container to retain freshness and it can be stored for several months.
- If you like podi to be of very fine texture and not coarse, grind it to a fine powder consistency.
- It’s very essential to dry roast all ingredients separately as the roasting time can differ. Peanuts take longer to roast whereas Sesame seeds are quick to roast. If you choose to roast everything together you might burn some ingredients.
- You can find some good quality almonds here which I have used for this recipe.
Food Kalaakar - It's All About Food View All
Cooking is my Passion
This is the best;;
Thank you 💖
I shall give it a try.
Let me know how you go 💖