This appetiser is a show stopper for any party and/or event. It can be made to cater and please any kind of crowd based on age or taste buds. It is surely going to get your taste buds tickling and craving for more.
The name Bang Bang Shrimps is Thai in origin. This version uses sweet chilli sauce and caters for the taste buds of children, but when sweet chilli is added generously along with some red chilli powder, it can add extra kick to please the ones seeking extra Oomph factor in their food.
On the other hand Dynamite Shrimps are Japanese origin and is famous on PF Chang’s menu. This inspired the spicy version of shrimps.
The process to make this recipe is very simple and easy. The essential part in cooking shrimps is to deshell and devein it. It is very important to devein the shrimp and wash them well.
This recipe is a three step process and the first step is to marinate the shrimps ahead of time, so that they fully soak the marination.
For the second step we mix ingredients for the sauce and keep it in refrigerator. Now making this sauce can be a fun process where you can experiment with the spice level. I made two versions one for kids with just sweet chilli and other for adults with a kick from wasabi. Feel free to add any kind of spice/sauce you like i.e. paprika, red chilli powder, crushed chilli, white/black pepper depending on the crowd you’re serving too.
The third step is to make the batter and deep fry the shrimps. As shrimps are wet in marination, the batter would easily stick to it. Make sure the shrimp is fully coated and then fry them in hot oil till they are golden brown in colour, it would take only a couple of minutes for the shrimps to fry.
Make sure the shrimps are fried just in time of serving as reheating shrimps would make them soggy. So plan ahead and fry them, as this process won’t take time as long as the oil is hot.
To serve you can either put fried shrimps straight in the sauce and gently toss them or pour the sauce over the shrimps and serve extra sauce on the side. Garnish with green spring onions and your very delicious appetiser or side dish is ready to be served.
Bang Bang Shrimps Or Dynamite Prawns
Ingredients for Marination:
- 20 – 25 Prawns, peeled and devein
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 2 Garlic clove, grated
- 1 pinch Food colour (optional)
Ingredients for Batter:
- 1/4 cup Plain flour
- 1/4 cup Cornflour
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp White pepper
- 1/2 tsp Mixed herbs
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Sweet Chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp Chilli sauce (see notes)
- 1 tsp Hot red chilli powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Honey
- 1/4 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- Oil to fry
- Spring onion greens for garnish
- Marinate the prawns with the marination ingredients mentioned above and leave them for at least 1/2 an hour or overnight refrigerated.
- Keep a wok/pan with ample oil to fry the prawns, the oil should be hot on medium flame.
- In a mixing bowl add all ingredients for batter (this batter is supposed to be dry).
- Mix all the ingredients to make a sauce (see notes below) and taste check. Feel free to add more spice if needed.
- Dip the prawns in the batter, as the prawns are wet due to sauce and egg, the batter would easily stick to it. Just make sure the prawns are completely covered in the batter and then fry them in hot oil.
- This process will be very quick since prawns cook very quickly unlike chicken/mutton. Remove on a absorbent paper or kitchen towel.
- Now you have two ways to serve, the first way is to put all the fried prawns in the sauce and mix well until the prawns are well coated in the sauce and serve, or the second way is pour sauce over the fried prawns and serve some extra sauce on the side. I used the latter method to serve.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and your party stopper appetiser is ready.
- You can use any kind of chilli sauce. For kids version I used only sweet chilli sauce and increased the quantity to 1 1/2 tablespoon, you can adjust as per your taste.
- Instead of using chilli sauce I used Chilli wasabi sauce which gives an extra kick to the flavour, but I have tried with other kind of red chilli sauce and it works fine and taste is not compromised.
Cooking is my Passion