I guess everyone will agree with me that most of the people love Aloo.. It’s the King of vegetables and favourite for most age groups; prepared in various ways like fried, baked, boiled, etc.. Normally if we are not aware about the liking of our guest Aloo is a dish where you can’t go wrong.. Their are variety of ways you can prepare them from a simplest jeera aloo dish to a time consuming Gratin it dominates the tastebuds..
This preparation is best suited to the days where people do not consume onion and garlic and yet need something to match their taste buds.. Simple, Easy and Everyday meal idea for you all hope you enjoy it as much as we did..
Few ingredient and around half an hour of your time would result to a delicious dish..
I have used Chaat potatoes for this dish you can please feel free to use normal size potatoes just chop them in cubes.. If you are using Chaat potatoes like me make sure you peel them and prick them..
For tomatoes I have used Tin crushed tomatoes, if you are using fresh tomatoes make sure to chop them small and add 1 tsp tomato paste for tangy flavour and good colour..
Use a pressure cooker for this dish, add oil, hing and whole spices.. Once the spices get fragrant add curry leafs and cumin seeds let the seeds crackle then add crushed tomatoes, grated ginger, green chillies and dry spices..
Add potatoes and fenugreek leaves along with water and pressure cook till one whistle or till potatoes are soft and cooked..
– 1 1/2 tbsp oil
– Asafoetida (hing), small pinch
– 16-18 Chaat potatoes or 3 large ones
– 1 Bay Leaf (Tej patta)
– 1 Aniseed
– 1 Cinnamon stick (Dalchini)
– 6-8 Curry Leaves (Kadi patta)
– 1 tsp Cumin seed (Jeera)
– 1 1/4 Cup Tomatoes, crushed
– 1/2 Ginger, grated
– Salt to taste
– 1 tsp Red chilli powder ( Laal mirch)
– 1 tsp Turmeric powder ( Haldi)
– 2 Green chillies, slit
– 1 tsp Coriander powder (Dhaniya powder)
– 1 1/2 cup water, little more if desired
– 1 big pinch Fenugreek leaves, crushed (Kasuri methi)
– 1/2 tsp Cumin powder (Jeera powder)
– Fresh Coriander, for garnish
– In a pressure cooker add oil and once it’s hot add hing, bay leaf, aniseed and cinnamon stick..
– Once the spices get fragrant add curry leaves and cumin seeds, let the seeds crackle then add the crushed tomatoes
– Add grated ginger, green chillies, red chilli powder, turmeric, salt and coriander powder.. Let the tomatoes cook till oil separates, if necessary add 1 tbsp of water.
– Meanwhile peel and prick the potatoes and the add them to the tomatoes along with fenugreek leaves, make sure to crush the leaves between your palm for best results.. Add water
– Close the cooker and let it pressure cook for 1 whistle or till the potatoes are soft and cooked..
– Taste check for seasoning and add cumin powder, further cook for two minutes..
– Garnish with fresh chopped coriander and serve hot with Roti, Puri or Rice..
Cooking is my Passion