On my daughter’s (Amaira) 9th birthday which happened to fall during lockdown I prepared this cake for her. She loves pistachio and is a ardent fan of Harry Potter like me.. So when brainstorming about what cake to make for her with two particular things in mind pistachio and Harry Potter the only thing that clicked and made sense was Rasmalai Cake for pistachios and Golden Snitch for Harry Potter Theme and yes not to miss the Elder wand next to the cake.
Rasmalai is a very famous and delicious Indian dessert, and for this recipe I have bought store bought frozen rasmalai and used the ras(milk) as well as the actually pieces. For the cake I have used a butter cake recipe which is light and simple rather than using a dense cake. The cake on it’s own is also delicious and makes a classic hit at tea parties.
I started by baking two cakes as I was planning to use 3 layers to make a slightly tall cake. But feel free to use one cake or 4 layers from both the cakes.
It is very essential to sift the flour for the cake this helps to lighten the flour. If you want a sifter like me you can buy from here. This sifter is a savier and easy to use. Once the cake is baked let it cool down then cut the layers.
Slice the cake evenly to get perfect size layers. There are few ways of doing this, you could use a sharp knife, but make sure for this you need a very sturdy hand; or you can use a dental floss and cut the slice and the last option is like I used a cake leveler and using this always gives perfect size layers. I got mine from here.
I had defrosted the rasmalai and separated the milk and the pieces. On a turntable I applied some frosting to hold the cake base. Then the assembling started with applying some milk on the base, this process helps the cake to be soft and moist, then spread some crumbled rasmalai pieces and over it piped some frosting. Repeat the same process for all layers except the top of the cake. Then pipe the icing all over the cake using a piping bag.
Spread it evenly using a spatula. The best way to maneuver the spatula easily on frosting is by dipping the spatula in hot water, then cleaning it with a towel and then spread the frosting. The heat helps the frosting to move smoothly. Make sure to remove any access frosting.
Apply crushed pistachio on the sides and on the top outer layer of the cake.
Now is the time to get creative and decorate the cake as per your desire. I had Harry Potter theme in my mind hence, created the golden snitch using ferrero rocher and printed some wings from the internet. But if you would like to make your own snitch wing then here is a video to help you.
Also attached is the video for the full cake recipe for easy visual explanation how to make and assemble the cake.
Ingredients for the cake(Makes 1 Cake):
- 120 gms Unsalted Butter, soft and at room temperature
- 180 gms Sugar
- 2 Free range eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 240 gms Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 Rasmalai along with milk (I used store bought)
Ingredients for frosting:
- 250 gms Butter, soft at room temperature
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 3 cup Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- Prepare the cake tin by lining the base with the baking paper and applying oil and flour to the sides (video for reference).
- In a bowl add butter and sugar and whisk using a hand blender or a stand mixer till sugar dissolves in the butter and butter is soft, pale and creamy in texture.
- Once the butter is creamy add one egg and whisk till the egg mixes well, then add the other egg and again beat it well.
- Add the vanilla essence, milk and self raising flour, make sure to sift the flour before adding. Please make sure not add all the flour together but in batched. So add flour and little milk whisk then add again add more flour and milk and repeat the process. This will avoid any lumps to form.
- Scrape the edges of the bowl and transfer this smooth batter in the prepared baking tin and bake on 180 degrees for 35 minutes or till the toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cake is ready it needs to cool down completely before been layers or frosted. Or else the cake would crumble and frosting would melt. Hence, this is an important process.
- I have used 2 cakes, but feel free to use one if you want less layers.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting, by adding butter to a bowl and beat until its pale and creamy.
- Add 1 tbsp milk and 1 1/2 cup icing sugar and beat it until everything is mixed well.
- Gradually add the sugar and milk and keep whisking till everything is incorporated well.
- Add cardamom powder and mix with a spatula and then pour it in a piping bag ready for icing.
- Once the cake has cool down completely slice it in half making sure two equal size layers are formed.
- On a turning table apply some frosting keep one cake layer. Apply come rasmalai ras(milk) then crumble some rasmalai pieces on it. Then pipe some frosting in circular motion.
- Layer the cake slab on top and then repeat the same process of milk and pieces and keep the other cake slab on top. I made just two layers but feel free to make three or one. Once the layering is done then apply the frosting generously all over the cake.
- Dip a spatula in hot water wipe it clean and start spreading the frosting covering the cake and spreading the frosting evenly.
- Once the cake has been frosted evenly then add crushed pistachio for decoration.
- For the cake topper I have made the golden snitch from Harry Potter, feel free to decorate the cake as desired.
- The Cake is ready, make sure to keep it in the fridge and remove half and hour before cutting.
Cooking is my Passion