Kashmiri Dum Aloo (No Onion / Garlic)
Quarantine days: It’s getting a bit hard to get our hands on fresh vegetables and fruits, either they are not available or are very costly. Just before the lock down luckily I made sure to stock some non perishables and long life food for rough days ahead. But surely not hoarding like many. Potatoes have a very good shelf life and can be paired with many other lentils and vegetables.
So here is my second version of Dum Aloo and among both the recipes I would rate this version as a more authentic Kashmiri cuisine. You can check my previous recipe here. For this current recipe I did not use onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes or dahi so its easy with few staples available in pantry. It’s a very simple and quick recipe with an authentic taste.
We simply need few khada masala’s.
And some dry spices which I mixed with water to make a paste like consistency.
Some small potatoes which I boiled and then deep fried.
Then I added the deep fried potatoes to the masala and cooked them.
Voila! Just follow these simple steps and you will have a very authentic Kashmiri Dum Aloo ready. Below is the detailed recipe.
Stay safe and keep cooking 🙂
Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Ingredients for Khada Masala:
- 1 black Cardamom
- 3 green Cardamom
- 4 Clove
- 4-5 black Pepper
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
Ingredients for dry Masala mixture:
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Amchur
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 -3 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp Mustard oil (Sarso ka tel)
- Oil to fry
- 10-12 small Potatoes (Chaat aloo)
- 1/2 cup water
- Coriander to garnish
- Boil potatoes as per your convenience (stove top/microwave).
- Peel the potatoes and pierce them with fork or toothpick, then deep fry them on medium heat. You can use mustard oil or any other oil of your choice, I have used canola oil for this step.
- Fry the potatoes till they turn golden brown and then remove them on towelling paper for extra oil to be absorbed and keep aside.
- Take the all ingredients mentioned under khada masala in a mortar and grind them till coarse, make sure not to make them fine.
- Also in a bowl mix all the dried spices ingredients and then add water to make a paste consistency.
- In a pan add mustard oil, heat the oil till it reaches the smoking point (this is an essential step when using mustard oil or it will have a bitter taste), then add the dried masala paste along with the coarse mix of khada masalas and cinnamon stick in the oil.
- Mix well and cook the paste for about two minutes.
- While the masala is cooking, pierce the potatoes again and add them to the pan and mix them well till all the potatoes are covered evenly.
- Cover and cook for about 5 mins, then add around 1/2 cup water and cook for 10 more minutes. If required add more water. When the oil starts floating on the top of the curry that’s the indication that your Dum Aloo is ready.
- Taste check and garnish with coriander.
- Serve with Poori, Roti or Rice.
Food Kalaakar - It's All About Food View All
Cooking is my Passion
One thought on “Kashmiri Dum Aloo (No Onion / Garlic)” Leave a comment ›