This is an easy and simple version of Kabuli rice but yet very tasty.. Kabuli rice has loads of variations veg / non veg and in each the way they are prepared depends on the chef..
I have tried few kinds and honestly loved every version I ate..
Try this simple recipe which would be handy for your Everyday Meal Idea – Simple & Easy!!
Use Basmati rice for the best result. Soak them for at least an hour for getting the cooking process fast, but for some reason you cannot soak them its okay they won’t affect the taste. Boil them and do not cook them completely as we need to cook them later also.
Julienne the carrots and in a pan add ghee, sugar and carrots to caramelize the them. You will see the carrots change color and become brighter and shiny
once you see the change that means it’s done then add the raisins. Raisins swell up and change their color too.
Soak the almonds and Cashews for best result and remove the skin from almonds, saute them in ghee and keep aside.
In same pan add onions and saute them till golden brown and then add the coriander and chickpeas to them.
I have used tin chickpeas if you are using raw ones then make sure they are boiled or cooked well and are not hard. And use around 1 ½ cups or so.. Here you can change quantity as per liking, won’t make a difference in taste. Just when you add dry spices taste test to make sure everything is okay..
Heat the milk, I used microwave for heating it and then add the saffron and mix well.
In an oven proof dish layer the rice and then pour over the milk and mix well.
Then add the onion mix to the rice and again mix well till all rice is coated well.
Layer the almond and cashews
Followed by the caramelized carrots.
Roughly chop the mint leaves and sprinkle them over.
Cover the dish with foil and put in the preheated oven at 200° for 30 minutes. If you do not have oven then keep the dish on a tava over low flame and cook in similar fashion we do for biryani.
And after 30 minutes when you open the foil you would get the aromatic Kabuli rice.. The mint enhances the aroma of the rice..
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 1 large Carrot, Juliennes
- 1 tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1 ½ tbsp Sugar
- 25-30 Sultanas (Raisins)
- 12 – 14 Cashew nuts
- 10-12 Almonds
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 420gm Chickpeas
- 1 tbsp garlic ginger paste
- 1 tsp Cumin powder (Jeera powder)
- 1 tsp Coriander powder (Dhaniya powder)
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- Big pinch of Saffron
- 1 tbsp Milk
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Coriander
- Fresh Mint leaves
- Wash and soak Basmati rice for at least 1 hour.
- Boil water in a large pot, add salt in it. Once the water boils add the rice.
- Meanwhile in hot water soak almond and cashew nuts.
- In a heavy bottom pan add ghee, once ghee is hot add carrot and sugar. Caramelise the carrots they would change colour and become very shiny. Then add raisins to it and sauté.
- Once the raisins swell up remove the carrots and raisin (use a slotted spoon so that the ghee remains in the pan itself) on toweling paper and keep aside.
- In the same pan add the almonds and cashew . Make sure to remove skin from almonds and sauté them for a while and remove and keep it aside.
- Again in the same pan add oil and once oil is hot enough add the onions. Sauté onions till they are golden brown in colour and then add the chickpeas, corainder and all the dry spices along with ginger garlic paste to it. Sauté well till everything combined and remove it from flame.
- Once the rice are done, make sure not to cook the rice completely they should be 10% less to be done then drain the water and keep in colander for rest of the water to drain off.
- Heat the milk and add saffron and mix well.
- Now assemble, using an oven proof dish layer the rice in the dish pour the milk mixture over it and then add the onions and chickpeas mixture. Mix well till rice is well coated with the onions masala.
- Then layer the almond and cashews on top followed by caramelised carrots and raisin.
- Add roughly chopped mint leaves and sprinkle them on top.
- Cover the dish with foil and put it in the preheated oven at 200° for 30 minutes.
- And your tasty Kabuli Rice is ready!!
- If you do not have oven then layer the rice similar way and cover it with foil. Then on the gas keep tava (flat pan) and then the rice pan on it. Similar to what we do for biryani to give dum.
- For non vegetarian version, cook meat separately and while layering first put the meat then layer the rice over it. Do not mix the meat with rice before.
- Feel free to add cauliflower, potatoes or broccoli to the rice. Cook it with onions and chickpeas.
- If you like it spicy then once you have layered the dish sprinkle some biryani masala on the top and then put it in the oven.
Cooking is my Passion