Dabeli – The Indian Burger!!
Dabeliiiiii.. That’s how my husband calls it, he just loves it. A Delhiite who loves Mumbai street food, courtesy his Mumbai-based wife lol… I am sure every Mumbaikar loves Vada Pav, Dabeli, Pani Puri and Of course Bombay Sandwich .. Actually the list is endless. When living in India we never bothered to cook any of these dishes at home as it was so readily available and yummy too. But here in Australia it’s not very common to find, I am not saying you do not get it. These days few Indian restaurants have started the concept of street food, but still the taste lacks. So easy solution was I started cooking at home and yes they taste good, not as good as they taste from the bhaiyaji’s but they are very much appreciated and edible.. sharing my composition of one of these street food Dabeli.
Very Simple and easy recipe and utterly delicious result. The potatoes need to be boiled and mashed, some small lumps are okay to go. Onions and tomatoes to be chopped.
Start adding some oil and butter in the pan and then add the onions, salt and dabeli masala. Dabeli masala can be homemade or store bought. I have previously tried making dabeli masala at home but I prefer the taste from the store bought one, so I am using the store bought masala. Please feel free to make your own masala. I am sure you can find the recipe on google easily.
Once the onions are translucent add the tomatoes and sauté till they leave the water and become soft then add the mashed tomatoes and mix them well and cook further for 5 mins.
Transfer the mixture in a platter which could be around 1 inch deep.
For garnish we would need masala peanuts, this too you can use store bought or make it at home. I always make it home, so sharing the recipe below again very simple and easy to make.
Garlic chutney can also be store bought or homemade, I made it at home and sharing the recipe, trust me again a very simple procedure to make delicious chutney. Tamarind Chutney, again store bought or homemade I am using store bought.
Garnish the mixture with peanuts, then the desiccated coconut, fresh coriander leaves, Nylon sev and top it up with pomegranates. This is not an essential step to make the plate, you can just keep everything separately and put in as you make, But for me presentation is very important and this looks good if you are serving it for guests.
Pomegranates… Grrrr I looked for them everywhere but couldn’t find in this Melbourne’s winter. Trust me Pomegranate you are such an integral part of Dabeli and you were immensely missed 😦
Slit the pav(bread) from just two sides to make pockets. Apply one side with tamarind chutney and other with garlic chutney, fill the stuffing in the pav making sure you have taken all the mixture and garnish from bottom of the plate to the top.
Apply butter on the pav and heat it on the pan both side. Make sure not to press hard or all the mixture would come out. Then can be garnished with more peanuts and pomegranate. Enjoy..
Dabeli - Indian Burger
Ingredients for Making filling:
- 6 Pav
- 3 medium Onions chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp Dabeli Masala
- 3 large Potatoes mashed
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
Ingredients for making Masala peanuts:
- 1 cup Peanuts
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp chat masala
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Tamarind Chutney
- Nylon Sev
- Fresh Coriander
- Grated coconut
Ingredients for Garlic Chutney:
- 10 red chillies
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ tbsp Lemon juice
Method for making filling:
- Boil potatoes till they are soft and easy to mash, once done mash and keep them aside.
- In a pan add oil and butter and once they are hot enough add onions to it. Add salt and sauté it till translucent.
- Add dabeli masala to the onions and sauté it further for 2 mins and then add the chopped tomatoes and mix them well.
- Leave it on medium flame occasionally stirring till the tomatoes get very soft and release water, this might take around 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the mashed potatoes and combine it all together, add lemon juice and mix it well and let it be on medium flame for around 5 minutes more.
- Transfer the filling in a plate with a depth of about one inch and keep aside.
Method for making Garlic chutney:
- Soak 10 whole chillies for about ½ hour in very hot water, then drain them and make sure not the throw the water.
- In a grinder add the chillies, garlic, lemon juice and salt and some water(same in which we soaked the chillies) and grind them to a smooth paste.
Method to make masala peanut:
- In a pan add oil and toss in the peanuts (use peanuts without the skin) and then on top add all dry ingredients and toss them, till all the masala sticks to the peanuts and they become shiny.
- If necessary add more oil to it and keep it aside.
- The filling as been already put in a plate and now top it up with masala peanuts, then grated coconut, coriander, sev and then the pomegranate.
- Take one pav, still it open from just two side to make it like a pocket.
- One side apply garlic chutney, and other side tamarind chutney and then fill in the stuffing. Make sure you scoop the filling from one side to get everything in it.
- Apply butter on both side of pav, put the pav with filling on a heated pan and press it down gently and cook on both side.
- Serve it hot.
Food Kalaakar - It's All About Food View All
Cooking is my Passion
Woooooow it’s so tempting, Want to have a bite please ❤
Aww Linda you so sweet.. Come over I will feed you 😘😘
That’s so kind of you Sweety Anjali, blessed day ahead 🙂
Dabeli! So yummy……
Thank u 😊
Wow this is my all time favorite. .. looks fabulous. ..
Omg now only if I could have a bite ! Love dabeli:)
I love them too
Looks good..yumm 🙂
Yummy. My favorite.
I nominated you!
Thank u so much 😊
This looks amazing!!
Thank you Sir 🙂
Anjali, This is droolicious! I love dabeli!
Thank you Sandhya 😊