Some dishes are like perfect couples or you can say married to each other, they are incomplete without their partner like Pav and Bhaji, Makkai ki Roti and Sarso ka Saag, Dahi with Bhalle like wise Bhatura with Chole.. And especially if they are paneer stuffed Bhatura, they have to be accompanied with chatpate punjabi chole..
These stuffed bhatura are so soft and fluffly, just melt in your mouth. If you have some leftover they are perfect to be eaten along with hot chai.. Kid’s just rolled them and ate them. Even after 4 hours they were soft and nice.. It’s very important for the bhature for the soft and needs to puff up (look at the ones in the picture)..
As my earlier post about chole says all about my husbands love for this dish, I had to made a perfect match for those punjabi chole. They are very easy to make, if few things are kept in mind. So let’s not waste time and Get Set Cooking..
Thanks for stopping by and hope you like this dish.. Do leave a feedback!!
Make sure to knead the dough properly using hot water. Hot water always helps to make soft dough and knead it till it’s smooth and comes together well. Cover with a damp tea towel and keep it aside in a warm place for at least an hour or till the dough rises to double.
Best place for me is inside the closed oven, as it’s always warm there.
Once the dough has risen, knead it down again and make small lemon size balls.
Mix the ingredients for the filling, you can grate or mash your paneer and yes feel free to add more ingredients of your choice like green chillies..
Just the way we do for paratha, roll out small circle and then put the filling in close it from top and again roll it out.
The Bhatura sizes and shapes is totally a matter of preference. I like then round and small as they are easy and light. But you can make bigger rounds or like some people roll out oval shape. But make sure to roll it out evenly and not breaking them.
Heat enough oil in a kadhai/pan and make sure it very hot, once it reaches the right temperature; which you can test by putting a small amount of dough, if it comes up immediately is ready to cook. Lower the flames and slide the bhatura in.
Using the slotted spoon try pressing the bhatura gently this will help the bhatura to puff up.
Once it’s brown from one side flip it over and again repeat the process and cook.
Remove on paper towel for excess oil to be absorbed.
Serve it hot with Chole!!
- 3 1/2 cup Plain Flour (Maida)
- 1/2 cup Semolina (Sooji)
- 3/4 cup Yoghurt (Dahi)
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Hot Water for kneading
- 1/2 cup grated Cottage Cheese (Paneer)
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- Fresh Coriander for garnish (Dhaniya)
- Salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl take flour, semolina, yoghurt, baking soda, salt and oil mix all properly with hands. Then using water knead it to a soft dough.
- Keep kneading to make the dough smooth and soft and once done then cover it and keep it in a warm place to rest. I keep my dough inside the oven as it’s warm. Let the dough rest for a hour or more.
- Once you remove the dough it should have been more spongy, knead it again and you are good to go.
- Heat oil in a wok, the oil should be very hot that as soon you drop a ball of dough it should come up.
- Make lemon size balls from the dough and cover them and keep aside. Meanwhile in another mixing bowl take grated cheese, garam masala, coriander and salt, mix well and the filling is ready.
- Roll the dough in small circles then put the filling and close the dough and form a ball and again using some flour roll them out. As big as you like, some people like to make oval shape go for it.
- Then slide the bhatura in the oil and lower the flame to medium. With help of the slotted ladle start pressing the sides of the bhatura and the bhatura will start to fluff up.
- Once the bhatura is brown from one side flip it over and let it cook till other side is also brown. Remove on kitchen towel for all excess oil to be absorbed.
- Your soft and fluffy bhatura’s are ready to be served with Chole or can be just eaten with chutney.
Cooking is my Passion