Diwali is around the corner and everyone is gearing in the festive mood. Even the food we are cooking is getting richer and tastier for the season.. Hosting dinner parties is a routine for us and I just love to cook for everyone, it has to be a three course meal.So though it needs to be rich and tasty (demand of the season.. lol).
This Dusshera I wanted to cook something nice and rich as after nine days of fasting our taste buds deserve something sinful to indulge in… Haha yes this is a sinful dish which has cashews, cream, oil and butter in it which makes it very flavourful..
I am sure everyone will agree with me on this that It’s so difficult to decide a menu on regular basis, I always tell my husband that I spend more time deciding what to cook than the actual cooking. But if someone tells you what they would like to eat it makes it so easy and quick.. So think how difficult it gets to decide a menu for a party, it’s a task deciding what cuisine to choose from and then decide the starters, mains and dessert. They all need to be in sync and go hand in hand but at the same time something new, flavourful and appealing to everyone’s taste buds.
So after lots of brainstorming for this dinner party I decided as per the occasion that I should cook Indian cuisine and in main course I thought of doing something with mushrooms. So I tried this recipe which is very similar to all malai recipes but mushrooms make it taste awesome.. So if you like rich food and are a mushroom fan this is a dish for you to try and indulge in..
The process is very simple we can start with soaking the cashews in hot water to blanch them. Once they are done grind them along with khus khus and keep aside.
Boil onions and tomatoes on medium flame, you would know they are done when tomatoes skin starts to crack and onions become soft. Blend them into puree separately.
In a pan take some oil and add the cumin seeds, once the seeds start to crackle add onions puree along with kasuri methi, ginger garlic paste and salt. Salt always helps onions to cook faster and make sure to rub kasuri methi to release all aromas.
Saute them well and once the onions get brown add the tomato puree to it along with tomato paste.
Mix them all well and once you see that tomatoes are soft, tender and start releasing oil add the butter, peas and mushrooms to it.
Add all dry spices and cashew paste and let it cook till mushrooms are cooked properly. Then add the cream and tomato sauce to it and cook it further for five times. Time to do taste check and adjust spices.
Once done garnish with fresh coriander and cream and serve hot along with Naan/ Roti or Rice.. Hope you enjoy this dish as much as we all did..
Happy cooking and thanks for stopping by 🙂
Mutter Malai Mushroom
- 3 medium size Onions
- 3 medium size Tomatoes
- 12-15 Cashew
- 1 tsp Jeera (cumin seeds)
- Salt to taste
- Big pinch Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp Butter
- 1 cup green Peas
- 2 cups Mushroom, sliced
- 1 ½ tsp Dhaniya powder(coriander powder)
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Haldi (turmeric powder)
- 1 tsp red Chilli powder
- ½ cup fresh Cream
- 1 ½ tbsp Khus Khus / Rava / Sooji (Semolina)
- Fresh Dhaniya (Coriander) for garnish.
- Blanch the cashews by soaking them in hot water. Then blend it to a paste along with khus khus and little water and keep aside.
- Similarly blanch onions and tomatoes by boiling them in hot water. Once they are done remove them and puree them separately.
- In a pan take oil and once it’s hot add cumin seeds, when the seeds start to crackle add the puree onions and saute it well. Add salt to the onions this helps the onions to cook faster. Rub kasuri methi between your finger and put it in the onions, add ginger garlic paste mix well and let it cook until onions are brown.
- Then add the tomato puree, tomato paste and cook till tomatoes are tender and mushy completely.
- Add butter, green peas and sliced mushroom and mix well, make sure all mushrooms are covered in the mixture.
- After five minutes of cooking add in the coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric, red chilli powder and cashew paste, cook further till mushrooms are soft and cooked.
- Add cream and tomato sauce then saute them well, do a taste check and then garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with Roti / Rice / Naan.
Cooking is my Passion